Magnetic Observatory (1862-?)
Following in the steps of the Hermitage, the second magnetic observatory, a small rectangular stone tower located near Jackson Hall, was constructed in 1862. "An Electrometer?[was] put up near it, for the purpose of determining the amount of electricity in the atmosphere." ( Williams Quarterly , Nov. 1862, p.144) The structure lapsed into disuse after 1890 and probably did not last long into the 20th century.