Kellogg Hall (1847-1900)
On the low ground, approximately in front of the present Jesup Hall, the small, decidedly plain, sometimes called "squat", Kellogg Hall was built. The east-west oriented dormitory was appropriately named since it sat on the site of the college vegetable garden that had been purchased and given to the college by Professor Ebenezer Kellogg. The 1847 building was equal in size to one half of East College, and it initially had two recitation rooms on the first floor for freshman and sophomores. The three story, box-like structure had no ornament or elaborate design, and the accepted practice of painting college buildings yellow probably only accentuated this fact.
President Carter, in his annual report of 1900, stated that Mr. Thompson and Mr. Jesup, whose gifts had created the lab campus, felt that Kellogg was an obstruction to the view of the laboratories and its general appearance did not harmonize with the style then prevalent. In July of 1900 the building was taken down and its "water faucet" moved to the southeast corner of West College. This allowed for grading of the embankments around Morgan and West and the creation of new sidewalks on the green.