Hopkins Hall 1890-

1887
After the death of Mark Hopkins on 17 June, funds are solicited for "the erection and maintenance of a building upon the College Grounds to be known as the Mark Hopkins Memorial, to be used for lectures, recitations, and for executive and such other purposes as may be approved by the trustees." Frederick Ferris Thompson 1856 pledges $25,000 if $50,000 is raised, and 424 pledges, totaling $89,577.75, are made. (Report on the Mark Hopkins Memorial Committee)

1890
The grounds are graded and sown in May, and the building dedicated on 1 July. In a speech by Hiram Grant Person (Class of 1891), the building is described as fittingly bespeaking "the nature of the life it would perpetuate. Simple, modest, yet firm in foundation and superstructure: not pretentious yet symmetrical, and beautifully finished. Plain, massive and certain to have an ever-widening influence for good." (Williams Weekly, 18 September, 8 May 1890)

1891
The stone around the entrances is finally carved; it "would have been done sooner but for the inability to procure the proper workmen" and a "beautiful bronze inscription plate" is dedicated in Hopkins. (Williams Weekly, 14 May 1891, 19 November 1891)

1896
The Gulielmensian prints a picture of each class sitting on the steps to Hopkins Hall, a tradition that would continue until 1917. (1897, 1918 Gul)

1909
The first and fourth floors, "owing to the cramped facilities of the Faculty room and the various offices on the first floor of Hopkins Hall," are renovated. The renovation includes wiring the building for electricity and rearranging rooms, adding the mathematical library to the Treasurer's office, making the faculty room into the Dean's office, and turning the Registrar's office into "a file and typewriting room." The top floor is divided into three classrooms and a new mathematical library. With the advent of the electrical lighting, students no longer needed to bring their own lanterns to navigate the dangerous steps. (Williams Record, 13 May 1909. Williams Weekly, 23 September 1909, 5 November 1891)

1910
When the "Monastery" was moved to make way for Chapin Hall and campus planning began to be an issue, the placement of Hopkins was questioned, but quickly dismissed. "?the rumors of the translation of the rockribbed battlements of Hopkins Hall to a less conspicuous locality have been only quieted by the later rumor that it would cost a small fortune to move them there" (Williams Alumni Review, July 1910)

1955
Renovations to Hopkins Hall, including improvements to the heating and electrical systems, new paint, and a fire escape, are made. (Williams Record, 25 May 1955, 24 September 1955)

1962
The Deans, Registrar, and Student Aid are moved to the second floor so that the entire north side of the first floor is clear for the use of the Admissions office. (Williams Alumni Review, February 1963)

1969
At four in the morning on 5 April, the Afro-American student association, seeing no other way to make its demands for an Afro-American studies program, an Afro-American cultural center, and "at a minimum, twenty-five Afro-American students" in each freshman class, heard, occupies Hopkins Hall, after it was not clear that the College was willing to comply with most of the demands. Faculty called off classes Monday and Tuesday to allow for discussion, and many students stood in the rain outside Hopkins Hall on the sixth to show their solidarity. The occupation ended at one in the morning on 8 April, when the administration and the Afro-American Society came to an understanding on the majority of the demands. (Williams Record, 9 April 1969. Alumni Review Spring 1969)

1987
A major renovation begins (Williams Record, 15 Sept. 1987)

1989
Hopkins reopens after another renovation, which entirely gutted the interior of the building, equipping the classrooms with motion-sensing lights and "high-tech chairs." Because the $9.3 million renovation came at the same time as a nine percent tuition hike, people thought it was too ostentatious, while others felt that "a building of historical significance had been destroyed without so much as a shred of regret;" it gained the nickname "Hopkins Mall" from the "lights, mirrors, and general Trumpian garishness that Art History professors have called 'adequate' in their kinder and gentler moments." After this, the Record prints a picture of the new Baxter cold cereal dispensers "for all of you who thought that Hopkins Hall was the most significant advancement in the history of Williams College." (Williams Record, 4 June 1989, 1989 Gul, Williams Record, 19 September 1989)