Undergraduate Publications By Date, 1831-1963

NOTE: Entries are listed according to the first year of publication. When the production of a paper was interrupted for several years, the paper appears again in this list under the new starting date. The editors' statement of purpose or a characterization of the contents of the paper is also included following the publication dates.

The Adelphi (1831-1832) published by the Adelphic Union, was primarily a literary journal, although the pieces were not all written by Williams College students. In the Editors' words, "Our present intention is to have our columns filled with original communications, and selected matter from the best literary journals of the day - with a proportional part of foreign and domestic news." The paper also contained interesting facts about other American colleges.

The Collegian's Magazine (1833) contained literary work by Williams students. Only one issue was published.

The Williams Monthly Miscellany (1844-1845) contained essays, poetry, and fiction by undergraduates. There is an index to titles at the front of each volume.

The Williams Quarterly (1853-1872) had a content similar to the Miscellany. There is an index to titles at the front of each volume.

The Vidette (1867-1874) according to the editors "a lively college paper," which included general college news, the proceedings of different campus societies, essays, news from other colleges, and editorials.

The Williams Review (1870-1874)categorized as a college newspaper, also contained student works of fiction and poetry. In its day it was considered more intellectual than the Vidette.

The Athenaeum (1874-1885) was formed from a merger of the Vidette and the Review. The Athenaeum contained more college news than literary pieces.

The Argo (1881-1885) With this paper the editors hoped to publish, "something brighter and more interesting," than the Athenaeum. The content of the paper, however, was largely the same as that of its predecessor. There is an index by title at the front of each volume.

The Williams Fortnight (1885-1887) was a continuation of the Argo and has an almost identical content. A title index is included at the beginning of each volume.

The Williams Literary Monthly (1885-1921) was primarily a literary paper, although it contained some alumni notes. There is an index by title at the front of each volume.

The Williams Weekly (1887-1904) The editors stated their mission succinctly: "We mean to steer it between the Scylla of the short story and the Charybdis of state news." In practice, this meant that they included college news, some student literary work, intercollegiate news, and alumni notes.

The Williams College Sound Money Advocate (1900) was the Williams Republican campaign paper. Only one issue was published.

The Williams Record (1904-1972) is the quintessential Williams newspaper. It contains college news, editorials, and intercollegiate notes. There are Commencement Supplements from 1904-1907 which contained news and pictures from the previous year, including club and athletic information. An index to the Record from 1904-1987 by subject is available.

The Purple Cow (1907-1942) contained poetry, essays, and drawings, largely humorous in nature.

The Williams Graphic (1921-1930) contained fiction, poetry, reviews, and photographs by undergraduates. The photography was of particular interest. An author and title index is provided at the beginning of each volume.

The Griffin (1924) a short-lived literary periodical.

The Williams Quarterly (1930-1933) was a revival of the previous Quarterly, although this version is exclusively literary.

The Sketch (1933-1942) took over from the Quarterly and was a literary monthly.

Twenty-one - Twenty-two (1935) was a "magazine produced by English Composition 21-22, a course in creative writing offered to a group of specially qualified freshmen" and therefore was a literary anthology.

The Williams Herald (1943) was published three times a week for three months and contained college news.

The Wind Tunnel (1943) was published by the Williams chapter of the "US Naval and Flight Preparatory School."

The Williams Review (1944-1945) As "the journalistic intention of the Review is primarily to give a genuine 'review' of the conceptions, misconceptions, and ideas of general import on the campus," the paper was not primarily news-oriented and contained political essays, book reviews, and fiction.

The Blinker (1944) was published by the Williams chapter of the "US Navy V-12 Unit."

The Griffin (1946) seems to have been a continuation of the Purple Cow and contained student fiction and non-fictional writings, as well as cartoons that were largely humorous.

The Purple Cow (1946-1950) had the same format and content as the previous Purple Cow.

Comment (1948-1956) discussed mostly national and international politics but also contained student fiction and poetry.

The Purple Cow (1952-1963) had the same format and content as the previous Purple Cow.

The Side Hill Gouger (1953-1998) a newsletter sponsored by the Williams Outing Club, dedicated to outdoor life at Williams.

New Voices (1956) featured selections from a workshop of the Williams Creative Writing Department.

Williams Campus Writing (1958) contained "work done in the Advanced Composition courses during the past year."

The Williams Review (1959-1960), sponsored by the Phi Beta Kappa Society of Williams, sought to "reflect the academic achievement of the undergraduate body" and was a selection of student essays originally presented as class work.

The Red Balloon (1959-1972) was exclusively a literary magazine.

Nexus (1962) was a political opinion journal that sought to promote alternative" forms of thinking, specifically pacifism.

Outspoken (1963-1964) was a publication of the Williams Civil- rights Committee and contained committee reports, editorials, interviews, and book reviews.