Digital Reproduction Services
The Williams College Archives and Special Collections offers scanning for research, publication, and broadcast. Staff will create digital image files of unrestricted materials in accordance with the following guidelines:
- Items selected for duplication must be properly identified by the researcher prior to scanning.
- Most scans will be delivered as an unaltered JPEG file scanned at 100% at a resolution of 300 dpi. Other specifications can be accommodated on a case by case basis.
- Please consult the fee chart for specifics about cost of scanning and delivery.
- Upon request, a member of the Archives staff will provide a cost estimate before scanning requested materials. The invoice is sent at the time of request.
- All payments must be in USD (United States Dollar). Cash and check payments may be made in person at the department. For long-distance requests, only checks are accepted and they must be made payable to Williams College and should be drawn on a US-based bank. Williams College Archives and Special Collections do not accept credit cards. Once payment is received, the scans will be sent to the patron. For international requests, please consult an Archives Staff member for details.
- Digital images will be used only for personal reference and research and are not to be sold or recopied. Copies may not be added to the holdings of another library or archival repository.
- Scans of material does not constitute permission to publish. The researcher will have to submit a formal request to use these materials in any publication. See an Archives staff member for details.
- Reproductions are to be used within the definitions of "fair use" under the copyright laws of the United States. It is the responsibility of the person requesting scans to obtain use rights from the copyright holder(s).
- Restricted, confidential, and sensitive materials will not be scanned.
- Rush service is not offered (except for the Williams College community). The requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. The staff will make every effort to complete each request in a timely manner.
- Turn-around time is dependent upon the complexity of the order. It is extremely important for the researcher to discuss the time-line for reproduction orders with a member of the Archives staff, especially if a deadline is involved.
- Williams College Archives and Special Collections reserves the right to refuse or limit a duplication request.