College Buildings and Property (1908-1934)1.5 Linear Ft. Contents List
This series is arranged alphabetically by name of the building or property. Correspondence, proposals, contracts, reports, news clippings, photographs and blueprints are included in this material. Photographs and blueprints were removed to the respective collections in the Archives. Most of the material in this series regards new construction or additions built during Garfield's tenure. These include the following: Droppers House, Power Plant, Taconic Golf Course, Chemical Laboratory, Grace (Chapin) Hall, the Freshman Dormitories (Williams and Sage), the Field House, the Lasell Gymnasium addition, Stetson Hall, the College Infirmary, and Stetson Road. Correspondence reveals that often years of planning, deliberation and attention to detail were part of the construction process. President Garfield was very involved and was consulted by architects on a regular basis. Cram and Ferguson served as architects for most of the building projects, although Densmore, LeClear and Robbins designed the Field House and Power Plant. Perry Smedley served as Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds and supervised many projects.
Material regarding Grace (Chapin) Hall compliments the material in the Alfred C. Chapin and Bentley Warren correspondence and adds to a very detailed documentation of the construction and furnishing of this building. Chapin's letters are often infused with personal opinion and comments on various issues. Benefactors, such as Alfred Chapin, Francis Stetson and Mary Thompson, were frequently consulted on building details and expenditures, and planning of the Freshman Dormitories, the Power Plant and new gymnasium reflects the influence of alumni opinion. The Stetson Hall files include input from faculty regarding pro-seminar rooms and detailed design recommendations from Christine Price, Librarian in Charge.